02 June 2009

Everything I need to know about PR, I learned from my Grandfather

(apologies for the late post - clearly a sunny bank holiday weekend coupled with coursework and job hunting meant that my poor little blog was overlooked)

Part II - Be nice!!

Alright, I admit that this topic is a bit self-evident and kind of common sensical if you really think about it, but I also think that in the quest to increase profits, reach targets or deliver important messages, a lot of companies and organisations often forget the basics. And nothing is more basic than the simple rule - Be Nice.

I cannot remember my grandfather ever disliking anyone, or saying a bad word about anybody. Well, with the exception of a former Canadian Prime Minister, but we all have our politicians that we dislike, I suppose! He treated everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, with respect, courtesy and human decency. No-one's money was better than anyone else's in the store, and the fact that you might not be the richest person in town did not mean that you were treated any differently from the person who WAS the richest person in town. Personally, I can't stand snooty salespeople who stare down their noses at you as if to say "you don't belong here, you can't afford our merchandise".

Learning this lesson early on has meant that I have always done well in the field of customer or client services, especially in the hospitality and tourism industries. I have treated celebrities exactly the same way I treated any other guests (name dropping time! - I gave Tommy Lee very friendly directions to the nearest ATM).

Don't get me wrong - I do not believe in the old adage that "The Customer is Always Right". That's not true... not by a long shot. What I do believe in, and what IS true in my experience, is that "A happy customer tells a friend. An unhappy customer tells EVERYBODY." Which means that unless your front-line staff are interacting with clients/customers in a positive way, it really doesn't matter how much you spend on marketing or advertising. In today's technological age, stories of bad customer service wing their way around the globe in minutes. What does that do to your reputation as a company or organisation?

But I'm not just talking about being nice to ONLY your customers. Out of the customer service awards that I've won or been nominated for over the years, 2/3 of them were for inter-departmental service. Think about it. Does it really take that much time to send out a quick thank-you email to someone who has helped you on a particular project? Or say you're planning an important event - when it's over do you thank the caterers, the venue, etc?

Now some people would argue that suppliers are just doing their job - they had a contract with you, so of course they're going to provide whatever service they've been hired to do. But what's the harm in being nice? You never know... it might result in preferential rates, or the company choosing to work with you rather than another organisation if they are double-booked, because you've been decent to them over the years.

Plus, being nice is good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment