16 April 2009

Life Coach

One of my lecturers mentioned that a colleague of his was offering free life coaching sessions as part of her certification process. All we had to do was write in and describe our current situation, and we'd be able to arrange the sessions.

So I did. Encouraged by the word "free", and the thought (correct or not) that this stranger might hold the key to sorting my life out once and for all, I figured I'd be foolish not to jump at the opportunity.

I had my first session yesterday, and I can already sense the potential benefits. It's so refreshing to have a new, outside perspective on my situation, distinct from the old standbys of the partner and the parents who, despite their best intentions, are incredibly biased in thinking I'm the best thing since sliced bread.

Life Coach (LC) and I went over the steps I'd taken in my job hunt thus far, and analysed what might be some of the barriers to my success. As I've always been confused at how seemingly ideal candidates (not just myself) often are unable to get interviews, it was interesting to get the opinions of someone who has also done executive and business coaching - an "insider" of sorts.

So now I have "homework" to do before my next session. This involves making a list of companies or organisations that I'd like to work for, including the names of the HR managers, so that I can put together a plan for proactive job hunting (rather than relying on advertised positions, which is what I've been doing at the moment).

I'm approaching it with a healthy dose of optimism and confidence. I will land a job if it kills me. I'm so glad LC is there to help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment